Jin Shinjitzu, Accupressure, Crystal Therapy, Healing, Stress Relief

Jin Shinjitzu, Accupressure, Crystal Therapy, Healing, Stress Relief

Saturday, May 17, 2014

2014 Food Revolution Summit Impact: The Changes Begin

Thanks to the Food Revolution Summit, I am looking at what I eat with new eyes. I realized that my food choices and eating patterns had become a habit. So I decided to take a conscious look and then decide if my eating habits still fit. 

This is what I saw. I could only find four "processed" foods, regularly in my diet. By that, I mean products that are packaged, and more than just a single ingredient. Here they are, and my conscious decisions about them.

My Progress on Eliminating Processed Foods

1. Frozen Organic Black Bean and Corn Enchiladas - I will continue to eat these, once a              month with my daughter, who loves them.
2. Snap Pea Crisps -  I can live without them.
3. Organic Corn Chips- I will work toward eliminating. 
4. Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette- I can replace with Balsamic vinegar.

It feels like a manageable start for me. And I will keep noticing, to be sure there aren't other processed foods in my daily diet.  


What To Do About Convenience Foods?


Then I have the category of convenience foods. I was buying packaged organic broccoli flowerettes, packaged organic little carrots, and packaged organic spinach, already washed. 

I heard on the Food Summit, that buying at the Farmer's Market is a way to support family farmers. So starting today, I will spend my organic food dollars buying locally grown produce at Farmer's Markets to replace the convenience foods. 

Living in a moderate climate in California, I feel lucky that every Sunday there is a Farmer's Market one mile from me. Out of convenience, it has become the only Farmer's Market I attend. Today I started researching Farmer's Markets within 3-10 miles. I found several. Basically, there is one somewhere, every day of the week. 


FYI: CalFresh EBT Cards and Market Match 

Make Organic Produce More Affordable


In my research, I also learned that many Farmer's Markets accept the EBT card of the CalFresh program, and some even participate in Market Match, a CA healthy food incentive program. That means they give $5-$10 in extra tokens, to make high quality food cheaper for low-income shoppers. After the Food Summit pointed out that Doritos are cheaper than apples, I see this as a step in the right direction.


My Food Purchases Changed Today  


Today I tried a new Farmer's market only three miles from my home. Located in front of Kaiser Hospital on Howe Street in Oakland, its open every Friday from 10am-2pm. This is a huge convenience for Kaiser employees and the many patients and visitors. Putting Farmer's Markets where people already are in their daily lives makes them more accessible, saving time and gas. 

I made note of the vendors and what they sell. It's a small market, though they have one hot food stand, one organic vegetable vendor, one organic fruit and flower vendor, an organic strawberry vendor, organic honey, delicious organic granola, and Vital Vittles organic breads and cookies. 

Today I found a gorgeous head of cauliflower, some beautiful broccoli, and carrots, all organic. I bought 7 pounds of organic produce, for $10. That's cheaper, and so much more beautiful, than the bags of carrots and broccoli that I used to buy. The cauliflower looked so perfect, I wish I had thought to take the photo before I cut it. 

Being an Energy Healer, I really feel the vital energy of such fresh produce. Feeling that good energy makes the longer cutting time more pleasurable than the shorter time rinsing the packaged veggies. Today I am feeling great about the quality and freshness of my food.